Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OVARIAN CANCER?
WHAT ARE SYMPTOMS OF OVARIAN CANCER?
- Ovarian cancer occurs in 1 in 55 women at any age.
- This year, 23,100 women will be diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and 14,000 women will die.
- Detected early and treated properly, more than 95% of women survive longer than 5 years.
- Pap tests DO NOT detect ovarian cancer.
*Don't panic! Many women have some of these symptoms from time to time. If the symptoms do not subside but instead, increase over time - read on!
WHAT CAN I DO?
- Abdominal pressure, bloating, discomfort or pelvic pain
- Nausea, indigestion, or gas
- Urinary frequency, constipation, or diarrhea
- Abnormal bleeding
- Unusual fatigue, backaches
- Unexplained weight loss or gain
- Shortness of breath
- Menstrual disorders, pain during intercourse
How can I reduce my risk?
- Have an annual vaginal/rectal pelvic exam.
- If you have symptoms that are persistent or are at high risk, ask for a transvaginal ultrasound and a CA125 blood test.
- If ovarian cancer is suspected, consult a Gynecologic Oncologist - a Specialist in treating gynecological cancers.
What puts a woman at higher risk?
- Oral Contraceptives
- Pregnancy and breast feeding
- Tubal ligation
- Removal of the ovaries
Where can I get more information?
If I am diagnosed with ovarian cancer, what sources are available for my support?
- Family or personal history of ovarian, breast or colon cancer
- Not bearing children
- Increasing age
How do I contact a Gynecological Oncologist in Oklahoma?
- Ovarian Cancer National Alliance, www.ovariancancer.org or OCNA@ovariancancer.org 202-331-1332
- Conversations (An ovca Newsletter), www.ovarian-news.org 806-355-2565
- Coping Magazine 615-790-2400
- SHARE, 212-719-1204
- ACOR (Assoc of Cancer Online Resources), online support group, www.acor.org (Click on mailing list and scroll to ovca)
Oklahoma City Gynecological Oncologist at the OU Medical Center may be reached
Where are they located?
- Dr. Robert Mannel, M.D.
- Dr. Joan Walker, M.D.
- Dr. Scott McMeekin, M.D.
- Dr. Kathleen Moore, M.D.
OU Physician's Building, NE 10th & Phillips,
East on Lincoln, 5th Floor
Very convenient covered parking garage.
What Is A Gynecologic Oncologist?
A Gynecologic Oncologist is an obstetrician/gynecologist who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of women with cancer of the reproductive organs.